Smoother backup/sync

How could Trunk be improved?

Smoother backup/sync

Postby ches » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:32 am

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the great app, with continued updates and transparency from you on these forums! I posted a few things I'd like to see in an App Store review, but I realized this should be the proper place to share them.

The main one, as the subject suggests, is smoother backup/restore/sync -- I want to keep my wiki in version control on my computer, and the download/unzip/make changes/zip/upload cycle is just too clumsy to do daily. I think SyncDocs might be a suitable solution -- it's open and cross-platform. It's used by the Notebooks app, one I considered when looking for iPhone note apps.

A couple other small ones:

• Tags in the web interface (betting you're working on this already)
  • A settings option to insert matched hashes for Markdown headings, e.g. ## Section Title ##

And lastly, low priority but it would be cool: stylesheet support for the web interface.

Looking forward to the future of the app :-)

Cheers,
-Ches Martin
ches

Re: Smoother backup/sync

Postby mgkennard » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:05 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your comments.

I will have a look at SyncDocs and consider adding it as a sync option. I personally prefer not having the install client software, however I do understand that lots of users would prefer a more comprehensive sync solution rather than just a backup.

Tags in the web interface will be coming in a future version of Trunk. I am currently adding support for image notes but will be working on the web interface in the release following that.

I will look into adding support for matched headings tags. Am I correct in assuming that your reason for liking these is easier reading of notes when viewed as text?

Regards,

Matthew
Apps On The Move
mgkennard
Site Admin

Postby ches » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:13 am

Thanks for your reply and consideration Matthew.

Yep, the matched heading tags is just personal preference when viewing as text (since my sync suggestion relates to keeping notes in version control, you can probably guess that I really like the prospect of using a plain old text editor on the desktop!). They stand out better to me this way as headings, especially when frequently switching contexts with Textile, where hashes are used for numbered lists.

Regards,
-Ches
ches

Postby nomad » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:22 pm

I agree. Trunk is by far the best note taking and organzing app I've come across and I am impressed by the regular updates as well and I am using it more and more.

The feature I miss most is as well easier transfer and editing of notes on my macbook. Normally I take notes both on my macbook and on my ipodtouch. I found Syncbook a bit unstable and unreliable and it is cumbersome to delete notes as it has to be done on both devices otherwise notes will be re-added. I'm more impressed by the syncing of the Syncbooks app. It has also a mac-desktop app. Syncbook is very basic, but good enough for writing temporary stuff. It cannot be compared to Trunk of course.

Concerning syncing, do you know VoodooPad? This is a desktop wiki app. There is also a iphone/ipodtouch app that sync with the desktop app, but it is only a reader. You can't edit or create pages. If you too could join and become a team and let Trunk be the ipodtouch-companion for VoodooPad, this would be the number one ultimate perfect app!
nomad

Postby mgkennard » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:00 pm

I am considering implementing a client side program to allow for the syncing of notes between an iPhone/iPod Touch and a directory on your computer. This would feature the ability to make use of a revision control system (such as SVN or git) to version control the notes on your desktop.

Any such client would probably be developed in Python to allow for cross platform compatibility (Mac OS X, Windows, Linux).

Having looked at Syncdocs I am not sure it would give me the flexibility I desire, and implementing a client side program myself would be fairly straightforward.
mgkennard
Site Admin

Postby nomad » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:26 pm

Great! That's good news!
nomad

Postby nomad » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:25 pm

Just curious if you've started working with a desktop app. The thing is there are hundreds of notes apps but none of them provides reliable syncing without going via the web like evernote. A simple desktop wiki would be cool, and I would pay for it.

BenruiMemo is extremely ugly, Shovebox unstable and Syncbook too basic.
nomad

Postby mgkennard » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:30 am

Hello,

I have to admit not very far yet. I am going to do some work on this today. The first step will be a program which will sync between Trunk Notes and a local directory. This will be written in Python and be cross-platform, although support for the Mac as a first step. When a first version is ready I will be looking for some people willing to test this.

Regards,

Matthew
Apps On The Move
mgkennard
Site Admin

Postby nomad » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:57 am

Good to hear you're working on it. Found freeware note taking app Notational Velocity - the new version reads the contents of a folder with text files, might be a good combination with your sync app so long there is no formatting http://notational.net/
nomad

Postby nomad » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:05 pm

I just read that 2.0 is out. Many great additions! Thanks a lot!

I was hoping for the notes sync you were mentioning here. Is this something for 2.1 or rather 3.0?

(I'm still struggling with notes that I have either on my macbook and on the ipodtouch and waiting for the sync feature ....)
nomad

Next

Return to Suggestions